Hon. Bill Janis
Before becoming an attorney, Bill served with honor and distinction as a special intelligence officer and interpreter in the U.S. Navy. He received his regular commission in 1984 and obtained the rank of Lieutenant Commander. Bill served at sea in submarines and destroyers, is a veteran of the Persian Gulf War, a qualified Surface Warfare Officer and Fleet Officer-of-the Deck, and served tours of duty at the National Security Agency, Office of Naval Intelligence and U.S. Atlantic Fleet Headquarters.
Bill is also an experienced attorney and advocate, who has zealously represented his clients in the full range of civil and criminal matters before state and federal courts and agencies. Since being admitted to practice law in 2000, he has served as a criminal defense attorney, lobbyist, Congressional Chief-of-Staff and Counsel, General Counsel of an innovative healthcare technology development company, Deputy Commissioner of Veterans Services for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and as an elected state legislator in the Virginia General Assembly.
At HMT, Bill helps clients who were injured while working as U.S. Government contractors, including those suffering from devastating psychological injuries of war, such as Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), obtain the compensation and medically-necessary treatment to which they are entitled under the Defense Base Act.
Bill brings experience, insight, innovation and strategic vision to bear in resolving the complex challenges facing his clients.
Bill is a member of the Virginia State Bar.
21 W Park Avenue
Savannah, GA 31401
Defense Base Act
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Virginia Military Institute, B.A., with Distinction, Distinguished Naval Graduate, 1984
- Tactical Action Officer School (1989)
- Fleet Operational Deception Planner Course (1989)
- Cryptologic Division Officer Course (1986)
- Defense Language Institute Russian Basic Course (1986)
- Navy ROTC (1980-1984)
- Submarine Special Operations Direct Support Officer, NSA (1986-1989)
- OUTBOARD Division Officer/Tactical Action Officer, USS JOHN RODGERS (DD-983) (1989-1992)
- Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, SURFACE FORCE, U.S. Atlantic Fleet (1992-1995)
- Knight Commander, Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- Knight, Sovereign Military Order of Malta