John R. Thomas, Jr.
John is a national leader in False Claims Act litigation, where whistleblowers uncover and report fraud against the government. John litigates cases throughout the country involving procurement fraud, health care fraud, medical device fraud, and grant fraud. John is the Founder and Chair of the Federal Bar Association Qui Tam Section and a frequent writer and speaker on the False Claims Act.
John is also an experienced litigator in the criminal arena. He has served as both a prosecutor and defense counsel in a variety of federal and state actions, including contested trials involving financial crimes, government fraud, attempted murder, war crimes, complex classified litigation matters, crimes against children, drug offenses, firearms offenses, and theft of government property.
John also has a special interest in science policy and research administration issues, and represents clients in a variety of research and science policy matters and other issues involving academic institutions. He is a contributor to Retraction Watch and has published in The Scientist and other science media.
John is a Major in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve and serves as a law of war instructor/advisor. In his previous billets, John prosecuted and defended Marines in courts-martial, served as a deputy staff judge advocate, and deployed to Afghanistan as a battalion judge advocate, where he advised the battalion commander on the law of war and other operational law matters.
John is a member of the bars of Virginia and the District of Columbia.
340 Eisenhower Drive
Savannah, GA 31406
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D. 2007
- The University of the South, B.A. cum laude, 2004
- Command and Staff College (2017 – Present)
- Expeditionary Warfare School (2015-2017)
- Intelligence Law Course, TJAGSLC (2010)
- Basic Operational Law Course, TJAGSLC (2010)
- Naval Justice School (2009)
- The Basic School (2008)
- Officer Candidates School (2005)
Federal Bar Association
- Director-elect (Term: 2018-2021)
- Founder and Chair of Qui Tam Section (2014-Present)
- National Convention Committee (2017-Present)
Member, Roanoke Bar Association
Member, Virginia Bar Association
Named a “Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star” in Employment Litigation: Plaintiff (2017) and Civil Litigation: Plaintiff (2018)
- The False Claims Act: Past, Present, and Future; The Federal Lawyer, a publication of the Federal Bar Association (December 2016).
- Escobar Aftermath: Expanded Liability, Uncertainty and More Trials; U.S. Law Week published by Bloomberg BNA (November 3, 2016).
- Scientific Misconduct Red Flags: Warning Signs that Scandal Might be Brewing in your Lab; The Scientist https://www.the-scientist.com/critic-at-large/scientific-misconduct-red-flags-34422 (December 2015).
- So You Want to Be a Whisteblower? Retraction Watch Series (May 2015-May 2016).
- The Federal Courts’ Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2011, The VADA Journal of Civil Litigation, Vol. XXV, No. 4, (Winter 2013-2014).